Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Control of the Battlefield Begins Here!!!

Well, that's Cape Canaveral's motto...
Yesterday I got to go with Dan to see where he would be working for the next for years. At first we had to sit through a REALLY long series of briefings (and after not getting an inch of sleep last night, I was struggling, to say the least), but after that we got to go on a bus and ride to Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, which is about 12 miles north of Patrick, where we were having the hideous briefings. That wasn't nearly as fun as I thought it would be (claustrophobia. Are you serious? How do I contort myself in all sorts of directions to get into a 2x2 space behind the dryer and not be claustrophobic, but I get claustrophobic on a bus?) so I busied myself taking pictures!
We had a really old guy on the bus who was our tour guide. It was about time for him to retire, but he was really sweet. Unfortunately, the mike on the tour bus wasn't working, so only the people up front (which included us) got to hear him talking about the different buildings. The lady in front of us asked what a particular building was, and he stuttered and said "Uh...uh...uh...we don't talk about that." Well, I guess that building's secret.
We got to get out of the bus and walk around at several places, and I snapped a lot of pictures! Here are some of my faves.

Heads up: I never edited the sky in any of these pictures...the sky is always that blue!

Meet Reginald!
This is Dan's attempt at taking a picture of me being goofy. My Camera is rather picky, you have to get it just right or things will be completely white washed. Ahem. Good job for trying!
This is the handle where Godzilla, the Yeti, and Bigfoot grab Reginald to throw him into orbit. Dan calls it an air vent.

Dan being studly...as always. *whistle*





A wreath to commemorate the 3 astronauts lost in the Apollo 1 fire.


I thought this was cool.


The view from atop the control room that controlled the Apollo rocket. I love Florida.




The only lighthouse the Air Force owns. It's kind of beautiful.



This is where Dan thinks he will be working. Unfair. But hey, at least my man is a rocket scientist. ;)


This is a capsule that re-entered the atmosphere, and basically acted like a meteor. This is the pattern the fire left on the bottom of it. Cool!


This is the same capsule, it would fit two astronauts in it for 13 days. Can anyone say "colostomy" and "catheter?"


The view on the way home. Ahhh, this is the life. Florida has the best cloud formations, besides Hawaii. :)


The Control Room for the Apollo 1 Mission




Since posting all those pictures has taken me a good hour, it is time for the apartment to be cleaned. We have decided we can't call the apartment a house, as in, "let's go back to the house," so we've decided to call it "The Hovel." It fits it quite well!

Oh, and for some more good news...We are getting me some couches. Some RED couches. YES....I've wanted them since I saw them at a friend's house when we visited in June, and they are selling them now. Woot! Merry Christmas to me! Hahaha...well, I hear some grapefruit calling my name (so much for apartment cleaning)...

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you decided to blog! Helps me keep up with you. :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pictures. The only rocket launch I ever saw exploded during the 2nd stage. What a disappointment that was. And the family I was visiting didn't even go out to watch with me. So I admire your enthusiasm.

    ReplyDelete