Thursday, November 10, 2011

Update: Clomid Round 2

Well, since there wasn't a frantic excited mess of posts on Facebook about me being pregnant, most of you probably gathered that we are still preparing the 9 month home for baby Dashlee! Okay with me, since a July due date means miserable end of pregnancy. AND! I ovulated! This is good news. ;)

I started the second (well, second with this doctor. Round 6 overall) round of Clomid on the 4th. I noticed some more emotional symptoms this time around... since Clomid stimulates your ovaries by forcing you to produce more estrogen, and in menopause you produce nearly 4 times the amount of estrogen you produce normally, I'm nearly positive Dan is in for it when I hit menopause. Poor, poor soul. Other than being incredibly awful as a person in general for a week, I felt pretty good physically considering everything going on.

As you may (or may not) recall, before when I was taking Clomid, it was working fine, then suddenly it just stopped working at all. I didn't ovulate at all the last time I took it and had to reset myself with hormones. That's when they referred me to my current doctor. Well, I had my ultrasound today and it seems like the same thing is happening again. The ultrasound showed no mature follicles whatsoever... last time I only had one. He wants to give me another week to see if I will produce enough estrogen on my own, and therefore produce at least one mature follicle that we can trigger. Otherwise, he will just up the dose to what I was on before, and we'll try again.

So basically, it seems like I build up a resistance to Clomid over time. A particular dosage will work once, but then we have to up the dose for it to work next time. You can only do this so many times, because a dosage of 150mg is as high as you can go or you will hyperstimulate. I was on 50mg this cycle. The next dose is 100mg, then after that 150. So at max I probably have only two more cycles on Clomid (hopefully less, yes???). Thereafter, if I don't get pregnant, we would probably move on to injectables such as Follistim. Those are way more expensive than what we're doing now, so hopefully it doesn't get that far ;)

What I find interesting about this whole thing, is that I actually knew what was going on before the ultrasound even happened. Same thing with last ultrasound. I knew last time that my right ovary had a huge follicle, and it did. This time, I knew nothing was really happening down there, simply because of the way I felt. Just goes to say that yes, you can know your body, and you can and should tell doctors what you think is going on. And not only that, but they should believe you. ;) There are a lot of wackos out there, but the average woman is truly able to understand her body.

So! There's an update! I pretty much feel like this blog is going somewhere. I don't know how and I don't know why but I feel like I can use it to help a lot of people, so that's my plan. As a sneak peak, there will be some more "How-To:" posts, and probably a series on NFP (Natural Family Planning) to get you acquainted with my crazy gibberish and also to educate anyone interested. Right now, I'm working on "How To: Be The Kind of Husband An Infertile Needs." Yay! I'm taking a while on this one, because I want to be tactful but blunt, and I definitely lean towards the blunt side with very little tact. So, trying to balance myself out. ;)

I'm also looking on the bright side about all this: If I were to have already ovulated, I would've only ovulated once. Which takes my chances for twins down to about 1%. If I go on the next dose, I'm about 49% more likely to have twins. For a weeks wait? I think I'll take that... I know you all probably think I'm crazy for wanting twins, but I seriously do. Might as well get two out of the way at once if it's going to be this hard! ;)

I love every single one of you. My heart is so full of .... whatever fuzzy feeling you care to name everytime someone tells me this blog means something to them, or that they're praying for me, Dan, and FBD. It's literally so awesome, I just want to cry. Happy tears :)

Until next time! (aka, next Wednesday)

Ash, Dan, and FBD




No comments:

Post a Comment